THABAZIMBI – In a press release sent to Kwêvoël yesterday, 19 March 2015 the DA said that they criminal charges against acting municipal manager, acting CFO, acting Manager Technical Services and the mayor of Thabazimbi Local Municipality.
These individuals face a criminal investigation after violating section 24 and 27 of the National Environmental Management Act, schedule 4b of the constitution as well as a directive of the Municipal Finance Management Act.
As a result of the actions by the above mentioned individuals, the municipality has failed to:
* manage operations of the sewer,
* management of waste fill sites and
* managing operations of water in the municipality.
This caused significant environmental pollution and degradation while failing to take reasonable measures to prevent environmental harm.
The DA commits to ensure that these individuals are held accountable and that maximum sanction be imposed by the court if found guilty.
Penalties for environmental offences in terms of the NEMA range between:
* R5 million or 5 year imprisonment
* R10 million or 10 year imprisonment
- Fierce competition to be expected with entrance of Mamba Cement to market
- Nog ‘n Munisipale foefie vir werkskepping – Finale kennisgewings uitgereik voor rekeninge betaal baar is