Golden Gate Highlands National Park scooped almost all the awards at the Regional Achievement Awards evening held at the Golden Gate Hotel last night. The regional achievements awards are held each year to honour those employees and business that have done well throughout the year.
The Park went through the most difficult and changing times but despite that they managed to rise above the challenges and went on to scoop all the major awards at the event. Leadership Award, Constituency builder, Business Unit of the year and the ultimate Park of the year award were all bestowed to this jewel of the Free State.
According to Victor Mokoena, the acting Park Manager of Golden Gate who received the Leadership Award, “This shows that if you are committed to building you win no matter the challenges. “We chose commitment over convenience in the midst of adversity; therefore adversity became a valuable teacher”.
In the beginning of the year 2015 nobody gave much hope to the Park after all part of senior management were suspended for corrupt activities in the Park. This unfortunate ordeal had put fear into staff members at Golden Gate and the organisation at large as everyone was almost convinced that this jewel of the Free State was dwindling. A new management team which was appointed on acting capacity rose to the occasion and steered the Park in the right direction and soon things started changing for the better.
The following are some of the achievements of Golden Gate in the 2015/16 financial year.
- * Guest to Parks increased by 6.6% year on year from 55 001 to 58 665
- Total revenue increased by 14.4% year on year
- The park successfully launched CSI projects to the value of R1 million in the neighbouring communities
- Hosting a total 31584 learners for 2015 for environmental education programmes
- Arrests of poachers during different poaching incidents
- A tremendous improvement in corporate governance that resulted in a clean audit by Auditor General
- The Golden Gate hotel won an award with booking.com 2015 for real clients, real reviews scoring 8.3 out of 10
Mokoena further added that the Park is extremely humbled to receive so many awards and hope this will pave a way for the years to come that “excellence gets rewarded”
Issued by: Issued by SANParks Northern Region